Tuesday, February 24, 2009

And in the "what the hell?" department

Anger, stress may be linked to heart problems
Changes brought on by anger and other strong emotions can predict arrhythmias
Experts: Anger management is important for heart health


http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/24/anger.heart/

The study, published in the March 3 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, may demonstrate a link between mental stress and sudden cardiac arrest, which causes more than 400,000 deaths every year.


Oh, I dunno. I've watched TV for 40 years and many's the time I've seen an angry character on TV start to rant and rave and lose his temper, then suddenly clutch at his chest and keel over because he's had a heart attack. And I think after, oh, I dunno, maybe the first time I saw that, I realized that there was a correlation between someone being angry and someone having a heart attack.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that doctors and people - at least people prior to today's generation, who don't know anything - have known this for decades. That's why people have always been cautioned to watch their tempers and keep calm, because anger sends up their blood pressure and causes heart attacks!

One wonders how much these studies cost, to tell doctors what they must have already known.

No comments: