Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pay your d*mn debt!

I'm watching Sports Center on ESPN, and every commercial break there's a commercial for some company saying, "If you've got $10,000 in debt you've got a right to reduce that debt." And there's footage of Obama looking back and forth between his teleprompters.

Here's what annoys me.

Lots of people have $10,000 in debt, and they're paying their bills on time. Why should *they* have to pay their bills, when other people who *can't* pay their debt, are allowed to "settle" their debt for pennies on the dollar?

I bet plenty of people who are perfectly able to settle their debts on their own are now calling up these companies in order to get this deal for themselves. Why shouldn't they?

I've often considered calling up these people and saying, "Hey, I don't have any credit card debt right now, but if you'll send me one, I'll rack up $10,000 worth of charges, and then settle it." And of course the merchants who accepted my "promise of payment' which is what a purchase on credit is, will be out of luck....and pretty soon out of business.

One of many annoying things about these commercials is the presence of Obama in them. Of course there's the "small print" saying, "This is a dramatization. Obama isn't necessarily endorsing this" but what do most people see? President Obama saying, "Sure, just because you incurred this debt doesn't mean you have to pay it. It's not your fault. You've been squeezed by the big, bad, racist credit card companies, and I"m doing somethign about it by makign it so you don't have to pay for anything you purchased, or return it even though you can't pay for it!)

No comments: