Saturday, August 30, 2008

Well...criminitleys...

Yesterday I shared some video on Sarah Palin, the new vice presidential nominee for the Republicans...

I didn't do any research on her meself...except the cursory look to find that she'd given birth to a baby with Down's Syndrome, and was anti-abortion...

Today, horror of horrors...I found out that she is *for* teaching creationism in schools.

As for the Down's Syndrome thing...she knew the baby would have that before she gave birth, and gave birth to it anyway...

I'm not prepared to say whether she should have had an abortion or not - Down's Syndrome kids can function alright in society, although it's a cruel society ...

And at least it wasn't an autistic kid that sits in his feces all day, hitting himself with his hands and generally acting like a vegetable...

For myself, I'm for abortion. If a woman doesn't want to carry a baby full term, she shouldn't have to. The thing to do of course is to teach young girls that having a baby is not a cachet, and teaching them how to use condoms, which of course the fundamentalists don't like and which just doesn't make any sense to me.

Want to get rid of poverty in the world? Allow people to stop having babies they can't afford to have and can't take care of...whether it be via abortion or by the more common sense solution of using a condom or some other form of birth control!

Anyway...all of a sudden I'm much less happy about the choice of Sarah Palin than I was. Back when I knew only the surface details - she was an outdoorswoman, she was a hunter, she'd put a stop to Ted Stephens' ridiculous Bridge to Nowhere, I was all for her... but as soon as you learn a little bit more... it all goes pear-shaped, as the Brits say.

Well, we're hosed regardless of who gets into power now.

No comments: